Sculptra Injection Treatment
Significant Difference, Long-Lasting Results
Sculptra Injection Treatment is a synthetic, biodegradable, injectable dermal filler, used to treat signs of aging on facial skin. The active ingredient in Sculptra is the alpha-hydroxy acid poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), which is used in numerous medical applications besides dermal injections.
Areas Treated with Sculptra
Sculptra is used for treating shallow to deep facial folds and wrinkles on the face as well as for various areas of the body .
Sculptra can also be used off-label and the most popular areas for treatment are:
- Butt augmentations and butt lifts
- Hip augmentation
- Treatment of cellulite
- Treatment of elbow, knee and chest wrinkles
- Nasolabial folds (the “smile lines” extending from the nose to the corners of the mouth)
- Marionette lines (extend vertically down the chin from the corners of the mouth)
- Hollows or skin depressions, such as sunken cheeks
- Chin wrinkles
How Sculptra Works
As we age, the collagen and elastin that provide the support structure of our skin and which are responsible for the suppleness and elasticity of our skin lose their connections and become disorganized and dried out. This gives skin the baggy, wrinkled, and dry appearance that we associate with aging.
Sculptra is a unique product because it is a “stimulatory” filler. Stimulatory fillers do not fill the space under the skin with their own volume, but rather stimulate the body to produce a fibrous collagen support structure that builds up to support the lost volume and to tighten the loose skin, thereby softening lines and wrinkles.
Sculptra is usually administered over a series of treatment sessions. Results improve with each injection as more and more collagen builds up. Generally, at least three treatment sessions, 4-6 weeks apart, are required for optimal results.
Once collagen build-up has occurred, the biodegradable PLLA is absorbed by the body, leaving just the natural collagen support structure. The results usually last up to two years, or even longer. One study showed that 40% of people still see the results of their treatment after 3 years.
Sculptra is also a popular choice for:
Those looking to create the appearance of more muscle mass and definition on the:
It’s not recommended that Sculptra be used around the eyes or the lips.
Are You A Good Candidate for Sculptra?
- Sculptra is only for use in people who are 18 years of age and up.
- Since Sculptra stimulates the immune system to create collagen, you must have a healthy immune system to be a candidate for injections.
- The safety of Sculptra has not been established for women who are pregnant, lactating, or breastfeeding.
- People who are susceptible to keloid formation or hypertrophic scarring should not be treated with Sculptra.